Our training courses cover a range of topics and are designed for all our volunteers, whatever your age.
We organise a variety of training courses for our volunteers
Building Your Skills Course
This is the first course our members would attend as young people and is a requirement for those working to complete their President’s Badge. The aim of the course is for young people to develop the skills to work cooperatively with others, to help make a difference in their life and in their Company.
By the end of the session, young people will be able to:
- Understand the different roles they play within a group, and how they can change.
- Work effectively with others as part of a team to complete the task at hand.
- Recognise their own strengths and weaknesses and those of other team members.
- Use these experiences to make a difference in their own Companies
Please click here for more information about the Building Your Skills Course
Captains & Officer in Charge Training
This course covers all the essential information and skills for Captains and Officers in Charge. At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Feel more confident in their role.
- Demonstrate an understanding of mandatory duties and responsibilities, and the boundaries of accountability.
- Plan for the development of Company work and ensure targets are met.
- Understand how to establish and maintain positive working relationships with Company staff and develop the team effectively.
- Identify how to manage the continuation and development of their Boys’ Brigade Company.
Expedition & Outdoor Leadership Certificate
This training course enables candidates the opportunity to achieve either Standard or Advanced status, after successfully passing the required standard in a range of key competences. The course is a mandatory requirement for all volunteers training or supervising expeditions.
First Aid Training
First Aid is a key part of our training to volunteers. The training is delivered as an accredited qualification and the course focuses on all elements required, although there is some emphasis on those situations that are more common to a Boys’ Brigade environment.
Holiday Leadership & Camp Craft Training
Holiday Leadership training must be completed before our volunteers can take young people away on a residential trip. If the trip is under canvas, then Camp Craft training must also take place. During the course, participants will complete a number of modules and by the end of the course will be able to:
- Contribute to a safe environment.
- Contribute to effective working relationships.
- Prepare to lead a holiday.
- Administer finance and information.
- Look after participants who are away from home.
- Enable those with disabilities to take part.
- Contribute to holiday activities.
- Understand the additional safeguarding requirements for residential activities.
KGVI – Youth Leadership Training
This is a two week residential course for those aged 17 to 21 years old who would like to move into leadership within Boys’ Brigade. The course covers all aspects of Youth Leader Training and is a great opportunity for those who have been members of the Boys’ Brigade and would like to continue being part of the organisation as they get older.
Queens Badge Completion Course
This course is similar to the Building Your Skills course but is for those aged 16-18 who are working towards their Queens Badge. The course develops the skills gained whilst attaining the Presidents Badge and encourages young people to be more involved in the running of their Boys’ Brigade Company.
Refresh is an opportunity for existing leaders to gather for training, networking and fellowship with the option of attending a one day or full weekend event. The training involves a mix of workshops, worship and entertainment. During the event there is also time to get to know and share ideas with other leaders. Click here for more information about this years event.
Skills for Queens Badge Course
This course is for those members who are aged 16-18 working towards attaining their Queens Badge. The aim of the course is to equip Queen’s Badge participants with the skills and knowledge to work effectively and safely with children in a BB company. By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Consider the different qualities of leadership and what makes a good leader.
- Understand the different knowledge, skills and attitudes that make up a leader.
- Think about the different considerations a leader needs to think about when running activities.
- To develop and share new activities and ideas for working with children.
Please click here for more information about the Skills for Queens Badge Course
Youth Leader Training
Youth Leader Training is the core training for anyone who wishes to become an officer in The Boys’ Brigade. The course consists of 8 modules delivered using a range of different methods to ensure that all participants get the most out of the course.
“A brilliant course where you learn useful leadership skills and make lasting friendships”
Young leader attending KGVI